" Drawing in Winter's Storm " -graphite 6ft x 4ft drawing paper

drawing by paul rodecker


A winter storm rolled through my area, and knocked out all the power last night (01/16/13). My first thought was to just go to bed, but my stubborn side said 'no-way!'. This is a great time to draw!

I was lucky enough to find 2 old candles and some matches. Using the minimal lighting I was able to locate some pencils, erasers, drawing paper, a box cutter (for sharpening), and tacks. Considering it was kind of hard to see with just 2 candles, and the fact the house was getting cold fast (no power) I decided it would be a good idea to work on a large drawing that would require me to stand and involve lots of full-body-movement.

I was very  excited to start this drawing as It's been awhile since I've worked on this large of a drawing surface. Also, the drawing paper itself has a wonderfully soft feel to it, yet it's surprisingly durable. I love using my entire body to draw expressively and ferociously. I had some ideas of what this drawing could turn into, but typically the drawing has other plans. The attempted balance between control and lack of control in my art making process is something I explore frequently when I draw.

As can be seen in the photo, the drawing paper is not completely unrolled. That's exciting as this drawing has potential to grow. However, I do like the 'unrolled-paper' look, and I think this format would 'show' well at a gallery or museum. It's wonderful how great ideas usually are bundled with great experiences. Plus every drawing has a story, and I look forward to telling the story of this drawing once it has received my final marks.

As it turns out, losing power was a great thing. This drawing would have never been created had the power stayed on. I remember being very unhappy when everything went to black. I was on such a roll. I thought to myself, what am I going to do with my time now? It's been awhile since this area has lost power, so I definitely had been spoiled with options. Now it was dark, getting colder by the second, and i had no idea of when the power would be back on. Instead, luckily and skillfully, the experience motivated me to make something positive out of a potential negative, and I now have a big-brand-new-drawing to spend my time exploring!


ptr


Comments