“ The Minds that hang above my Head “

points_of_drawing_dt 

This drawing was part of a larger drawing where I was learning about the limitations and possibilities of working with Pen & Ink. Long story short, I found that without the ability to erase, my drawings would prematurely end just as they where starting head somewhere interesting. One main solution I found was to incorporate or to send out ‘points’ or ‘dots’ into the empty space, like drawing scouts, to help activate and keep alive the drawing. Whereas before, most areas of the drawing had hard closed off edges, now the edges and the space beyond them were open and somewhat misty. Thus, the ‘dot mist’ helped my drawings grow instead of end, and the dot-mist also helped me ‘see’ new ideas and possibilities were there used to be blank uninspiring space. With this newly incorporated method of drawing, this piece of Art turned into something I had never imagined possible, and has served as a catalyst for many of drawing that have followed over the last 5 years.

Comments

Austin Dodson said…
i know what your saying. i've recently come to this too.
as i've been finding my drawing style to have a meandering, journeying thing going, i'm finding it beneficial to send out 'scouts'. to set up coordinates where attention area's are located. this way it avoids the ever so unfortunate, 'up against a wall' problem, where you're rolling smooth and then ,bam, you hit a wall of confusion.
the scouts help predict where the drawing should go.

i tend to use dense or less dense area's of roaming squiggly lines compared to dots. whatever works.
I hear you Austin. One of my main goals for quite awhile now, is to learn how to have my drawings 'not end'. This very simple yet important idea has fueled (for me) some of my more interesting works. What I've learned from working this way, will fuel my present/future works for quite awhile.

Lately I've been working smaller with more intent to resolve what I am working on in a more timely matter. I Find elements in my more meandering pieces, isolate those elements, and then explore those elements in a more singular fashion.

The results have been encouraging, if not inspiring. As always Austin, I appreciate your input, and it's great hearing from you.