Dancing Pencils

cm_001_detail

I’ve been drawing in pencil more than I have in the last 10 years. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have accumulated so many pencils that when I randomly grab a drawing tool it tends to be a pencil.

This drawing was drawn from life. I drew the person’s profile as they worked their own drawing. What I like about this work is the looseness of the marks. It can been seen that my hand was moving very fast and confidently. I was not ‘worried’ about messing up or trying to get things too right too soon. Instead I just let my pencil fly. If you are interested in learning my drawing process, follow my lines from their beginning to the their end. Try to find the individual marks and the moments that made them. Inside these places you’ll get a clearer idea of my drawing decision making.

Most of these choices are made unconsciously, some are more deliberate. I can see the differences in those two types of lines. can you? Also, would you call this a drawing or a sketch? Is there a difference. Is one more important than the other?

Keep drawing!
Paul Rodecker

Comments