Journal Drawing of the Day

rodecker_sketch_05689


This is a quick sketch I did of an Art history slide I was studying in one of my many Art history courses. I found I learned the slides better if I drew them. This would seem to take longer, but I discovered I actually learned slides faster and more completely if I took the time to draw them (rather than just look at them).

When one draws, he/she sees more than when just looking. Looking is seeing, but drawing helps in learning how to see. Drawing is active.

This drawing was created on notebook size loose-leaf paper, with a graphite pencil (probably no.2) and eraser. I am sure it took no less then 5 minutes and no more than 10 minutes to make.

What’s interesting; is that when these thinner papers are scanned into the computer, the images on the other side tend to “bleed” through to the front. This sometimes is cool, but mostly I find the bleed-through a bit distracting.

With this drawing, it’s kind of cool that the hand looks as if it is coming in from another dimension to grab the unknowing dude. On the other “hand” I find it a bit distracting because I like the drawing as a study (alone) rather than having some kind of narrative/metaphor adding baggage to it.

This was drawn (probably) around 5 years ago. I found it not too long ago, in one of my many “lets go and find all and every possible drawing Paul has ever done” expeditions. That journey continues today, and hopefully will continue forever.




Comments

Pam said…
Paul,
Great to find out I was not the only one who found drawing those Art History slides was the best study tool around. As an undergrad Art History Major, I have about 30 or so notebooks of drawings that still are great to look at.
America said…
This looks a bit like a hybrid of Egon Schiele and you. Do you know what the slide was?
Hey Pam!

It's great to hear from you, and your right. Drawing the slides was the best way (for me and you at least) to remember those things. Like you I have many/many drawings from the many/many slides I had to memorize.

I'd love to see some of those notebook drawings. Please let me know when you are in town, and me, you, and Angus can get together.

I hope your drawings are going well
Hello America!

Wow, a hybrid of Schiele and me, now that is a powerful/scary combination. I like it.

The slide was of a drawing by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres [French Neoclassical Artist, 1780-1867).

I love his drawings. His attention to detail was incredible.

I assume you know of him?

I hope you are well, and send me an email sometime. It would be great to hear from you.