drawing of the day – “ figure sketch ”

rodecker_figure_006 Well, I did not get as much drawing done as I had hoped for yesterday. However, today is a new day (it is actually sunny for once) and my hopes are high.

I have been wanting to start a new body of artwork, but it has been a struggle in choosing which direction to follow. This struggle has caused me to hesitate. I am extremely suspicious of hesitation when it comes to my art, so I decided to follow all the directions for now and see which ones prove to be worthy of my time. This decision has freed me to work in a way that has been very productive.

Thus reinforcing my theory that the decisions an artist makes are just as important (if not more important) as the actions that follow those decisions.

I can’t remember drawing the figural sketch that is with this text. However, I do like how loose and confident it is drawn. More than likely this image was not my primary concern as I drew it. Perhaps I was on the phone or watching a really bad horror movie? It’s hard to tell, but its fearless gesture and loose giggly line quality reminds me once again of the beauty and honesty of gesture.

Comments

Robin said…
I am enjoying to fact you used the word giggly.
prodecker said…
yes...I thought giggly was cool.
KW said…
oh my are those sausage fingers
prodecker said…
damn...you got me....actually they are spicy sausage fingers from Kroger...
PattiH said…
Paul,

I am just wondering if you still know how to make your famous "purple Paulie" There are two girls from Minnesota that still remember the good times and all of the laughs we had with you. We would love to get in contact with you. Please e-mail me at pbck4@yahoo.com

Patti and Angie
Your Minnesota Applebee's friends and customers
Spiger G said…
Hm...very interesting. Your words reminds me of an artist I know; he is very talented, but he used to get "hesitant", as you put it, when he wants to sit down and consider in near-excrutiating detail what he wants to set to page; however,of late he's taken up a looser style, and reflects your words.

As for your sketch, it reminds me of sort of a modern fairy-folk figure, like a pot-bellied gnome or wizard. I especially like the way it's pivoted on its legs. Gook work
prodecker said…
Thank you for your thought-provoking comment Spiger G. I look forward to reading your blog.